Easy ways to save energy :
- Install a shower head that will let you use 1/3 less hot water.
- Check the thermal insulation of the house including the weather stripping of doors and windows.
- Use a programmable thermostat that lowers the house temperature during the night and even during the day if the house is unoccupied.
- Clean your heaters and fan outlets to ensure they are not full of dust. This will improve the heat circulation in your house while eliminating unnecessary additional costly demands on your heating system.
- If you have a hot water heating system, you can reduce your energy consumption by 1% by lowering the temperature of your hot water by three degrees. Your independent dealer’s technician should be able to advise you on this matter.
- Put a stop to faucet leaks. Hot water leaking at a rate of one drop a second adds up to the hot water used for 16 baths a months.
- To maximize the energy efficiency of your oil-fired heating system, have a competent technician carry out an annual tune up. It’s well worth the cost which you should recover in a relatively short time.